Water pressure is an important factor that can bring your shower experience to a whole new level. There are diverse tastes regarding the water pressure in the shower- some like it strong, for a massage like water spray, and some prefer a soft, rainfall-like flow. However, there are cases when a low water flow feels too inconsistent, and you really want to enjoy your shower with higher pressure. There are many reasons for which the pressure could get too low in some houses. Some could include problems with the municipal water supply or even plumbing system in your house. If you are not sure whether it’s a problem with the water supply or you might have a mineral clog blocking the water (some of the most frequent problems have to do with that, especially in areas dealing with hard water issues), contacting a plumber should solve the problem. The issue could also lie in your showerhead – it might be too old, or it might have a clog (this time somewhere in the hose, diverter mount or whatnot). Replacing your showerhead with a special high-pressure one could save you a lot of time and be effective even in cases when there is low-pressure water supplying system in your area.
Installing a high-pressure shower head would have many positive effects on your overall shower experience. Some of them include:
- You will take a shower much faster, saving time and water.
The standard shower heads use much more water than the specially designed high-pressure ones. If you want to enhance your experience, it wouldn’t harm to install a fresh high-pressure shower head and feel the wonderful transformation.
- You will wash yourself more effectively, as high pressured water would target the specific areas on your body more accurately than their low-pressure equivalents.
The pressure shower heads come often with a lot of different features. One, for example, is that many of such heads contain diverse spray settings, which could be changed and regulated with the spray control ring to offer you a unique experience. By washing yourself with different spray modes, you can use one to wash your body more efficiently and fast, and then switch to another one to just enjoy a pleasant rinse.
- You will use your shower time to relax your muscles. Yes, the high pressure produces good massage for your muscles, which can be rewarding in the everyday life. As mentioned before, many high-pressure showerheads offer different settings, which can be controlled by the simple press of a button. However, even the most common high-pressure showerhead bursts water with a high output power, which could make for an effective massage in the shower. Even if you don’t buy a super upgraded high-pressure shower head, you should be still able to offer yourself a shower massage with a simpler one.
- Save energy and money. A very popular and crucial reason. High-pressure shower heads are famous for their water saving potential. If you decide to use one, you may feel a difference of saving some hundreds of dollars on your next water bill.
Now that you’re a professional in everything that implies high-pressure shower heads, it’s time to go down to the most basic of questions: “What exactly is a high-pressure showerhead and how is it different from the normal one I have in my bathroom right now? How does it work?” The truth is high-pressure showerheads don’t use more water to accomplish their meaning – instead, they have various built-in diverse attributes for that. The legal upper limit for water for showerheads in the US is 2.5 gallons per minute, and no high-pressure showerhead will consume more than that. Besides, if you already use a non-low flow shower head at the moment, the chances are that investing in a high-pressure one will not make any difference to your water bill at all. On the contrary, depending on the model you purchase, you might even save some money with your new unit. Some of the high-pressure showerheads use special pressure chambers; others could be adjusted to spray accordingly. As you maybe have experienced before, the adjustable sprays have fewer nozzles, so the water which goes through is compressed, resulting in a higher pressure. The showerheads with pressure chamber use the chamber technique, where the passing water adds air, triggering higher pressure and forcing water to spray at a higher speed.
Some high-pressure shower heads are actually more similar in their features with low flow units. Even the technologies they use are similar – the low flow units will usually go for the pressure chamber method as well, to provide the same spray as a normal showerhead, only using up less water. The high-pressure units do the same – the only difference is that they do not decrease the amount of water used, making for a higher-than-normal pressure instead of just normal pressure.
If you became interested in the high-pressure showerheads, you might want to know how to get the perfect one to fit your needs best. Here are some tips you should consider:
- The showerheads can be found in different shapes and are made of different materials. Most common ones are made of plastic and metal. The best plastic showerheads are made of high-quality ABS plastic. They are quite lightweight and much easier to hold than the metal ones, which is a necessity for some which use handheld showers. The metal ones are made most often from brass. These showers are famous for their very high quality, which will serve you a while and not give in to any chemical decaying, such as rust. The thing is that they may cool a little bit the out coming water, but it shouldn’t be a problem if you put quality and a longer lifespan over everything else.
- Choosing a high-pressure showerhead according to the specific spraying patterns could be a good start. There is a lot of choice in terms of high-pressure showerheads on the market. If you just need a basic high-pressure showerhead, with a couple of spraying patterns, then you can find easily one for yourself, as there are a lot of such offers. However, if you want to have a bigger range of spray patterns, you should check showerheads which offer more than 3 spray options. The settings may vary, as you could need a harsher bursting water setting or on the contrary, a soothing spray, which will improve your showering experience and bring it to the next level.
- Another thing which could be taken into consideration is the restrictor. In order to make sure that you get the desired high pressure, you can invest in a removable restrictor. Be cautious while installing it, because it requires a little bit of attention. With the restrictor in, you will save energy and water, but you may not be astonished by the pressure that is coming from the showerhead. However, removing the restrictor is also not the best option in some cases. It can result in consuming more water, but it is worth a try if you can’t allow yourself to spend too much.
- Generally, any showerhead will cost you somewhere between $20 and $300, depending on the brand, features, material and many more. Some might require buying additional accessories as well, so make sure you read through the whole listing on the website to check for any missing essential parts. Our verdict regarding high-pressure showerheads is: whatever your needs, you better go for a higher quality (and price) product. While this might not be the case of normal, low flow or any other kind of units, high-pressure heads have to undergo a lot of pressure on a daily basis. Plastic units just won’t do the trick for more than a couple of years, especially if you have a big family who uses the shower a lot. This kind of unit is the most prone to leak-type damage to the hose or the head itself, so you want to make sure even the screws, hose, and wall mount (if included) are very high quality. Below, we have gathered a list of the best deals on the market, all great quality/price balance which you can choose from.
Now that you know what a high-pressure shower head is, how it works, and what its features are, let’s get you through some high-pressure shower head models, which could give you an insight about your next purchase.
- Delta Faucet 75152 High-Pressure Shower Head
This is the most popular high-pressure showerhead on Amazon. A wall mounted unit made from heavy duty plastic and covered with a Chrome finish, the Delta Faucet 75152 neutralizes low water pressure, lowering your consumed energy with an efficient spray performance. It includes dual flow settings, one with 2.5 and another with 1.85 gallons per minute. It has a technology which amplifies the flow of the water through concentrating the water in its four large spray nozzles. They call it the H2OKINETIC, which is meant to save water creating simultaneously bigger water droplets. This way, it should offer you the realistically needed amount of water. On average, it saves around 40% more water than with the standard shower heads. It also has an adjustable setting, which allows controlling the level of water flow. This technology meets the WaterSense criteria for saving water. The goal of H2O KINETIC technology is to save the future of the nation’s water supply, which is supported by WaterSense. WaterSense promotes water efficiency, protecting with such technology the future of water supply.
Price-wise, it is one of the cheapest alternatives you’ll find on Amazon. It has terrific reviews online – people claiming they don’t want to get out of the shower thanks to this head, and other such elegies. However, do take everything with a grain of salt and be prepared to get exactly what you’re paying for. You can check the latest price for the Delta Faucet 75152 on the following address:
- Thunderhead TH2.5
The Thunderhead TH2.5 is a very powerful rain showerhead. The rain shower head is specifically characterized by its ability to recreate the rainfall sensation, which flows gently covering a bigger area than the standard shower heads. The Thunderhead TH2.5 uses a pressure sensor, increasing the pressure of the flowing water in case it’s too low. The chamber distributes the water through its 90 spray jets, spraying the water around evenly and powerfully, but also gently enough for one’s skin.
Thunderhead TH2.5 requires an easy installation, where you can put it above your head, receiving a true rainfall experience. It is also very compact, which means it doesn’t consume much space and is perfect for small shower enclosures. You could easily fold the shower head onto itself and adjust it at any convenient height for every family member. This is done by adjusting the ratchet joints on the arm, which allow you to move the shower head vertically and horizontally.
A drawback for this unit is that it’s made of plastic. Again, this does not necessarily mean lower quality, but it certainly shortens the lifespan of your new showerhead. However, at this low of a price, you can really stock up on them and enjoy great water pressure for several years J
Due to its high-pressure head, it is a very convenient unit when it comes to cleaning. A quick blast of water plus a gentle rub with your hand will do the job. Check the latest price for this product here:
- Vida Alegria SpaShower 5+ High-Pressure Shower Head
For people who want a more luxurious kind of experience, Vida Alegria is definitely a unit worth checking out. It has 5 spray modes that allow you to create an individually unique shower experience. It offers a high pressure pouring rain sensation, drizzle spray for less water use, a relaxing coarse spray, a massage for your muscles and a smooth relaxing rinse. This showerhead comes with a detailed instruction manual. Its showerhead is made to last long due to its brass connector and its specific round joint. Better said, it’s a metal high-pressure shower head, and not a plastic one, which means it is there for sustainability and stable use. You can also easily remove the flow restrictor if you feel that you have a low power or inefficient water flow and you need more. Any instructions for that can be checked out in the unit’s instruction manual, which is, for once, written in “clear English”!
Besides, this model is a great choice for all those who enjoy having multiple spray patterns included into their showerhead. Vida Alegria includes 5 different ones: Drenching Rain, Gentle Rinse, full rotating massage, two mixed modes and drizzle Mode, which lower the water consumption to 1.85 gallons per minute.
Overall, this is a great quality product for its price, and it’s absolutely mandatory that you check it out if you’re looking for a wall-mounted high-pressure showerhead.
You can check the latest price on Amazon on this link:
- High Sierra 1.5 GPM High-Pressure Shower Head
High Sierra is a quite innovative green product. Don’t let the 1.5 gallons in its description fool you. Even so, it is specially designed to spray a very concentrated water flow. Many people have expressed from their proper experience, that the pressure of this high-pressure showerhead is higher than of the most 2.5 GPM heads. It offers you a real unique shower experience, with a full drenching blast of water. At the same time, it can save water and energy, which could be equal around some hundreds of dollars per year. This showerhead is one of the most efficient high-pressure shower heads on the market. It runs under the patent of High Sierra technology featuring a uniquely attractive and durable design. It features a polished chrome finish and is made of solid metal itself, which is always a good thing for high-pressure units.
The current price for this product can be seen on this page:
- Waterpik TRS 523 Elements 5-Mode
This one from Waterpik is a very convenient option, as it is the most affordable high-pressure shower head from our list. It offers approximately 1/3 more water force than the standard units and is designed to run with the Opti Flow technology, which specializes in high-pressure water flow. A restrictor is also included in the package for water saving purposes, and in case you do want more water pressure, you can remove it. It makes it very practical for environments with extremely low water pressure, as it can offer you a satisfying solution.
The unit has 5 adjustable spray settings which can offer an appropriate experience for everybody. It features slow massage, pulsating massage for tired muscles, misting spray and additional full-body massage modes. The modes could be easily changed with the spray control ring dial.
You can check a nice offer for this showerhead on Amazon here:
- Speakman S-2252 Icon Anystream
The Speakman S-2252 is one of the most popular and bestselling high pressure shower heads. It is made of metal, which features an attractive brass design with a polished chrome, which ensures its long sustainability. Its design uses the Anystream technology.
With this high-pressure showerhead, the low water flow pressure in the house shouldn’t be a problem anymore. It has 6 jets and runs a water consumption rate of 2.5 gallons per minute. The Speakman S-2252 is patented by Plunger System. This is also what it makes a powerful high-pressure shower head. The plungers are positioned near each other, encircling the center so that it can offer a fully drenching spray performance through the combination of all individual streams. Grace to this, you can experience a super strong water pressure.
The head of the Speakman S-2252 can be rotated 360 degrees, which is always a nifty feature for wall mounted units. Non-flexible as they might be, each family member can still adjust it to their angle of choice, adding up to the performance of the high water pressure. You can also enjoy several different spray patterns with this unit – a massage with an intense spray, a shower in full spray or savor the drenching pattern.
Check the latest price for this unit on Amazon by following this link:
A little conclusion to this guide: high-pressure shower heads are a very useful investment for those who struggle with a general low water pressure in their area or house. Surprisingly, not only will they not add up to the water bill, but they can even help you save money, buy running the same amount of water through a pressure chamber, or another technology which creates a stronger spray using the same amount of water. The legislation of the United States clearly states that all showerheads must follow the maximum of 2.5 GPM. If you think carefully, a high-pressure showerhead doesn’t consume more than this amount and it truly satisfies most the people. Many manufacturers integrate a water flow restrictor into their showerheads. What happens if you try to remove the restrictor? Well, in some cases, you won’t be obeying the law anymore, and the bill for water will increase for a reason. At this point, the best choice would be to buy a high-pressure shower head. And after analyzing all the aspects, it is really the most effective, nature-friendly, and energy saving choice. If you still don’t have one, consider getting it, and, in a couple of months, you will also feel the changes on your bills. The high-pressure showerheads mentioned above are the most popular and best rated based on the feedbacks of different users. Our short guide should give you an insight into the potential and the availability of high-pressure showers heads on the market. You can go through their features once again and you will certainly find something which fits your taste. Following these steps, you will surely find your perfect piece and enjoy your showers way more than before.